Click on links for scholarship applications (see descriptions below)
Grace and peace to you from the staff of the United Methodist Council of Bishops!
This is a reminder there are several opportunities available now for members of The United Methodist Church:
- A second cohort for UMEIT: Young Adult Network is being formed. This is a part of your “United Methodist Ecumenical and Interreligious Training” ministry. I am searching for 10 young adults from around our global Connection who would like to have deeper, extended training in ecumenical and interreligious ministry. They can be lay or clergy, must speak and read fluent English, and be under 34 years of age. The deadline is July 31, 2018. This ministry is funded through the Council of Bishops’ (COB) budget.
- The 2019 scholarship recipient to attend Bossey, the World Council of Churches Ecumenical Institute is actively being sought. This person should be attending a seminary and be in process of vocational ordination (either as a deacon or elder). The Bossey program is a 5-month experience in Geneva at the Ecumenical Institute with Christians from across the world, who gather to study global Christian unity. The recipient should be on the ordination track and be under 30 years of age. The deadline is September 14, 2018.
- Applications for Local Initiative Grants are also now being accepted. The COB gives three grants every year to groups within annual conferences who are doing excellent ecumenical and/or interreligious ministries within annual conferences. Each grant is for $1,000 US. Priority is given to ministries that are ecumenical/interreligious both in focus/invitation and scope/goals. The deadline is September 14, 2018.
- The 2019/2020 UMEIT: Ecumenical and Interreligious Plunge is now being planned. It will begin in July of 2019, and each bishop is invited to sponsor one young adult from his/her annual conference(s). Ask your bishop for more information.
- Finally, scholarships to attend the Parliament of the World’s Religions have already been granted. However, if you have persons in your annual conferences who are planning on attending (the event is being held in Toronto November 1-7, 2018), please have them get in touch with me. I will be hosting a pre-event conference call, and I would like to get all United Methodists present together during the early days of the Parliament.
For all of these opportunities, questions can be directed firstname.lastname@example.org. I continue to be grateful to be in ministry with you! I believe your efforts are making a difference for the Church of Jesus Christ.