ABOUT THE HISPANIC YOUTH LEADERSHIP ACADEMY (HYLA)
The Hispanic Youth Leadership Academy (HYLA) in partnership with United Methodist Universities and Seminaries and the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry (GBHEM) of the United Methodist Church (UMC) seeks to help high school youth and college young adults explore their call to ministry.
HYLA is committed to assisting Hispanic/Latino youth discover and embrace their relationship with God while encouraging them as they complete their education and refine their leadership skills.
Youth involved in HYLA gather each summer to consider issues such as Christian discipleship, vocational development, leadership in the church, college prep assistance, and a variety of other issues important to the continued development of Hispanic youth and Young Adults in the United Methodist Church.
HYLA partners Hispanic High School and college students with pastors, seminarians and other Hispanic leaders in the UMC who serve as mentors.
The Hispanic Youth Leadership Academy (HYLA) serves Hispanic United Methodist youth and young adults. Its main purpose is to identify, recruit, and facilitate the leadership development processes of high school and college students while taking into consideration the context and particularities of Hispanic youth and young adults in the context of the United States. HYLA consists of a three-year curriculum program that covers and focuses on a variety of topics each year.
Requirements for HYLA:
- Be a High School or College Student in good academic standing.
- Participate in local ministry setting (a church, campus ministry, etc.).
- Be a member of the United Methodist Church.
- Have experience or desire to serve in the leadership of the United Methodist Church.
- Desire to explore your relationship with God and the United Methodist Church as an institution.
- Have a sponsor (lay or clergy member of the UMC).
- Fill out the application form and submit by April 15th for participation in the summer leadership academy (applications are accepted until May 1st of each year if there is space available)
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR ROOM, BOARD, and GROUND TRANSPORTATION ARE PROVIDED FOR MOST PARTICIPANTS upon acceptance into the academy.
For more information contact Rev. Dr. Cristian De La Rosa firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Did you know that the Hispanic population is the fastest growing population in the USA and is the largest minority group on college campuses?
- Did you know that the high school dropout rates among Hispanics (18-24 yrs) was 14% in 2003? only 9% from University and only 2% from graduate degrees?
- Did you know the Hispanic church is also growing and in need of young LATINX leaders?